34. Shop Theft and Loss Prevention for Retail Management and Company Security Staff ( 2 days )
WHO FOR :-
Area Managers, Shop Managers, Assistant Managers, Security Guards and Store Detectives who have responsibility for reducing theft or loss from both customers and staff.
AIMS OF THE PROGRAMME
- To protect staff from physical risk by equipping them with the knowledge of the most effective techniques to deter and prevent theft.
- To equip shop managers and staff, particularly in small to medium size shops, with a working knowledge of the law relating to theft (both English and Scottish) so that they are aware of the extent of their powers and what they can and cannot do legally within its framework.
- To give management and staff an insight into how to deal with the most common situations, including violence, that they are likely to face when involved in apprehending and restraining thieves.
- To reduce the percentage of stock lost in shops due to customer theft by giving advice on tried and tested best practice.
- To reduce the percentage of stock lost in both store and warehouse operations due to staff theft, and administrative errors, and to improve stocktake results of stores for which delegates are accountable.
CONTENTS AND METHODS
The content of this course is based around "Theftstop: the National Retail Theftstop Initiative" video based training pack which has been fully endorsed by the Home Office Crime Prevention Agency , the National Board for Crime Prevention (Retail Action Group), the Police Service , The (BRC) British Retail Consortium , SITO (Security Industry Training Organisation) . The course and its content is accurate for both Scottish and English law.
The course style is highly participative using true-to-life role plays, case studies, practical exercises and structured discussions in small groups. Ideally the course venue is split 50 50 between a training venue and an actual operational store in order to achieve as true to life a learning situation as possible.
THE COURSE WILL BE RUN BY DAVID BOOT, THE INITIATOR, CO-ORDINATOR, SCRIPTWRITER, AND PRODUCER OF THE "THEFTSTOP" VIDEO BASED TRAINING PACK.
THE WILL FOLLOW THESE MAIN THEMES:-
- Overview and nature of shop theft in the UK
- Shop theft as part of the overall Shrinkage or Loss of a retail operation
- When and where shopthiefs steal
- Recognising methods of stealing and concealment
- Identifying suspicious shopthief body language and behaviour
- Theft prevention is better than cure
- Fifteen tried and tested methods to deter and prevent shoptheft
- The law relating to theft (Scotland and England)
- Dealing with theft in practice
- Handling the realities and difficulties of an Arrest, including handling violence
- How to make Police statements and give court evidence
- Signs of staff theft and collusion
- Seven tried and tested methods for preventing theft by staff
Delegates will leave the course with a comprehensive understanding of the actions to take to prevent and deal with all manner of shoptheft. In addition, they will have practised through true to life role plays and case studies their powers of observation and the legal Arrest procedures that are recognised by the Police both in England and Scotland.
Delegates will be given a comprehensive Shop Theft and Loss Prevention Techniques Training Manual with which to train their own staff.
Staff who are aware of theft, know the context in which it sits in relation to their jobs, and how to deter, prevent and deal with it, will be much more confident and at ease in their job roles. It has been proved that the skills transferred on this course will reduce the loss of stock and money due to theft from both customers and staff.